A Johannesburg MMC and her bodyguard were arrested after a 16-year-old boy opened a criminal case alleging kidnapping, pointing of a firearm and common assault, in a matter that has now been referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions despite the complainant later withdrawing the case.
Police confirmed on Wednesday, May 20, that MMC for Economic Development Nomoya Mnisi and a second suspect, aged 36 and 43, were arrested and appeared before the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court following the incident.
“According to the case number provided, a case of common assault, kidnapping, and pointing of a firearm was opened at Doornkop Police Station on 16 May 2026,” police spokesperson Captain Tintswalo Sibeko said.
“Two suspects, aged 36 and 43, were arrested and appeared before the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court on 18 May 2026.”
Sibeko said although the complainant later indicated an intention to withdraw the case, prosecutors are still considering the matter.
“The complainant indicated an intention to withdraw the case; however, the matter has been referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for a decision,” Sibeko said.
The arrests have triggered political fallout inside Johannesburg’s coalition politics, with ActionSA demanding that Mayor Dada Morero immediately remove Mnisi from the mayoral committee.
“This raises serious questions about the breakdown of the rule of law, where politically connected individuals abuse their power to undermine the rights and dignity of ordinary South Africans.”
ActionSA president Herman Mashaba and Johannesburg mayoral candidate said the party condemned what it described as criminal conduct by a senior public representative.“ActionSA demands that Mayor Dada Morero institute disciplinary action to remove this criminal MMC from the Council’s Executive,” he said.
“The days of the ANC undermining the rule of law without consequences are over.”
The Star approached both the office of the executive mayor and the office of the MMC for comments. Both declined to comment on the matter.
However, The Star received a detailed response from Mnisi’s attorneys, RAMS Attorneys, who denied allegations that the MMC or her bodyguard kidnapped, assaulted or threatened the teenager with a firearm.
In correspondence sent to The Star, the attorneys said the incident arose after Mnisi discovered that her minor daughter had left home with a teenage boy despite her objections to their relationship.
“On or about 15 May 2026, at approximately 20h00, our client returned to her residence accompanied by her bodyguard,” the attorneys said.
The attorneys said Mnisi and her bodyguard later tracked down her daughter while she was walking with the teenage boy before stopping the pair and confronting them over the relationship. According to the legal team, “They stopped the vehicle, and the minor boy was briefly asked to stay so that the situation could be addressed.”
The attorneys insisted no offence had been committed.
“At no stage was the minor boy held against his will, nor was he assaulted or threatened with a firearm. Following a brief discussion, the minor boy left peacefully and returned home,” they said.
According to the attorneys, Mnisi voluntarily handed herself over to police after learning authorities were searching for her.
“Our client was thereafter surprised to learn that the police were looking for her. She voluntarily presented herself at the police station, where she was arrested,” the statement read.
The legal team further maintained that the complainant later withdrew the matter and insisted Mnisi never appeared before the court, despite police confirming that two suspects had appeared in the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court following their arrests.
“The complainant subsequently withdrew the case, the matter was never enrolled in court, and our client therefore never appeared before the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court.”
The attorneys also appealed for privacy, saying Mnisi was mourning the recent death of her mother.
“Our client is currently undergoing an exceptionally difficult and emotionally distressing period following the recent passing of her mother. We request that you afford our client the necessary space and dignity to mourn her mother and attend to funeral preparations and arrangements,” the attorneys said.
Despite the withdrawal request, police confirmed the matter remains under consideration by the DPP.
